Friday, September 4, 2009

Gennaro Angiulo.

Today was the funeral of Boston ex-mob boss Gennaro Anguilo. Hundreds gathered for the ceremony which was held at St. Leonards's Church in Bostons north end. Angiulo was the underboss for Raymond "The Man" Patriarca the leader of the New England mafia based in Providence Rhode Island. Anguilo controlled most of eastern Massachusetts and ran the numbers racket from the early 1960's into the 1980's

“I wouldn't be in a legitimate business for all the money in the world.”

Angiulo served in the navy during World War II, steering landing craft in pacific operations. Following the war Angiulo an intelligent individual who was skilled in math approached the Patriarca family with $12,000 of loan money in hand with the intent of running the numbers racket in Massachusetts. Which he did, and ruthlessly. While many residents of the north end who attended the funeral describe him as a nice and generous man who cared about the community. Often displaying a light hearted side, for example when people seemed confused as to what he was talking about he would ask "Do you speak American?". Later however tapes that would be released of his private conversations would show a different side.

In the early 1980's the italian mafia was suffering from a lack of available hitmen, and had begun to hire outsiders for contract killings. Angiulo hired two men for a job that was coming up, one of whom happened to be Whitey Bulger who at the time was an FBI informant. Angiulo and Bulger would meet at Angiulo's famous hideout, "The Dog House" located at 98 Prince St in Bostons north end. This would lead to the planting of some of the first wire taps and RF transmitters used in criminal investigations.

The installation of wire taps was not an easy process, Angiula was well protected by almost every residence in the north end. FBI agents parked a car, with a camera inside a Kleenex box in the rear window, near Mr. Angiulo's residence at 98 Prince Street. Within an hour all four tires were flattened. Later FBI agents placed a camera in an air conditioning unit looking down on Mr. Angiulo's residence. That same afternoon, Anguilo would leave his residence look towards the camera and give a friendly wave. The successful plant too place on Christmas Eve 1980, three FBI agents posing as holiday revelers, broke into the dog house and planted an RF transmitter in the ceiling, which would transmit his conversations for the next six months.

On Wiretap: "We're arsonists! We're drug dealers! We're loansharks!"

When FBI agents arrested him in 1983 while eating dinner with his family at Francesca's Restaurant in Boston, Mr. Angiulo famously shouted to fellow diners, "I'll be back before my pork chops are cold!" Angiulo would be sentenced to serve 45 years at the federal prison in Fort Devens, Massachusetts. Angiulo would receive parole after serving 21 years of the sentence finally being release for good behavior in 2007. He retired to Nahant, Massachusettes where he would live out the remainder of his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment