Monday, August 2, 2010

The Future of Travel

Found some pictures of art deco trains from the 20's and 30's. I always wish there were more opportunities to travel by train both economically and comfortably in the U.S. On my west coast trip I took a train from Portland, OR to San Francisco and I really enjoyed it. Sure 18 hours on a train did get a little draining, but there were many benefits. It was an overnight trip so it saved me the cost of one night of lodging, while being one third the price of flying. I got to enjoy amazing scenery through out the whole trip, including a quite spectacular sunset over a canyon in southern Oregon. I was able to walk around during the trip and sit and eat at an actual bar, not while stuck in a seat with a tray table. Probably one of my favorite parts was that in the bottom of the train there was a run down Galaga machine that was only a quarter, which is quite the deal in today's arcades. Flying may be faster and less time consuming, but the views from the train and the fact that I didn't have to deal with over anxious security made it a very pleasurable experience. I wish all the money that got poured into luxury airships in the mid 2000's had gone towards luxury rail lines instead.








No comments:

Post a Comment